Social Welfare and Community Development
The Social Welfare and Community Development Department (SWCDD) is established at MMDAs as per Second Schedule of the Local Governance Act, 2016 (Act 936).
Objectives of the Establishment of the SWCD Department
The Social Welfare and Community Development Department exist to:
- Facilitate the mobilization and use of available human and material resources to improve the living standards of individuals, groups, families and communities within an effectively decentralised system of administration.
- Prevent and respond to social exclusion and mal adjustment within the context of national and sub national development efforts
Services Rendered by the SWCD Department
COMMUNITY CARE PROGRAMMES
- Registration of Persons with a Disability
- Support to Persons with Disability(DACF)
- Hospital Welfare Services
- Child Survival and Development
- Promotion of socio-economic and emotional in families
- Registration of Community-Based Organizations (C.B.Os)
- Livelihood Empowerment Against Poverty (LEAP) support to the Aged, PWDs and OVC’s
CHILD RIGHTS AND PROTECTION AND PROMOTION
- Child Welfare Service
- Registration and Inspection of Day Care Centres
- Service to children in need of care and protection
- Case management
SPECIALIZED RESIDENTIAL SERVICES
- Running of Social Welfare Institutions
- Rehabilitation of Persons With Disability
- Children’s Homes
- Detention Pending Trial
- Preparation of Social Enquiry Reports (S.E.R.)
- Panelists of the Juvenile and Family Tribunal Courts
- Liaison duties for the courts
- Aftercare services
- Adoption enquiries
SWCD Department Hotlines
Do you urgently need to Speak with the Social Welfare and Community Development Office?
Please Get in touch with us through any of these phone numbers, and an officer will be assigned to assist you.