The Statistics Department is established at MMDAs as per Second Schedule of the Local Governance Act, 2016 (Act 936).
The District Statistical Department aspires to provide reliable and responsive statistical services for good governance and development.
To harness, produce and manage quality local level statistics based on national standards using competent staff for evidence-based decision making in support of local and national development.
Objectives of the Establishment of the Statistics Department
- Enhance the use of statistics for evidence-based decision making
- Harmonize concepts, methods, and classifications used in the production of statistics at all levels
- Assist the MMDA to mobilize revenue for development
- Systematize the collation of administrative data across sectors and geographical units
- Reinforce the coordination of statistics generation, compilation, analysis, storage, archiving and dissemination across departments within the MMDA
- Strengthen capacity of statistical staff at the MMDA level
- Engender statistical literacy among stakeholders
General Functions and Responsibilities of the Statistics Department:
- To collect, compile, store and analyze data based on standardized formats developed by GSS
- Disseminate and publish statistical data based on guidelines developed by GSS
- To ensure that statistics is produced to meet international standards
- Prepare and submit Annual Report of its operations to the District Assemblies
- Provide inputs for the preparation of the District Assemblies budget
- Generate the data requirements of the District Assemblies on all departments for planning activities of the MMDA
- Coordinate district statistical activities and archiving of statistics to serve as a repository of statistical data in the district
- Provide timely data for incorporation into district, regional and national level statistical analyses
- Promote Statistical Literacy and Research
- Monitor statistical enquiries/surveys within the MMDA